Sunday, September 12, 2010

Spreadsheet project

The following is my embedded Student Data spread sheet.


Manipulating the data was the easy part, but there is a good reason I've been enemies with spreadsheets for a long time. I must have watched the video 4 times and followed the directions exactly, but I still struggled. I’m glad that I got help from Barry on this issue! You were so helpful, and I love the new “TeamViewer” program that you introduced me to. I could definitely see myself using that program in the future to help others figure out how to use a program like you helped me figure out Sheets!

I basically charted the students progress who were below the average, and the graph was useful to assess this. To use sheets when grading would be particularly effective, as a large amount of data can be overwhelming and the visual aspect of a chart would make it easier to analyze student performance. The chart shows the possibility for a gradual raise in grades. I noticed that the student average was quite low at test 6, but that there was an overall rise in grades by test 10. Student Queen didn’t show much growth, but there was a slight increase nevertheless. The most interesting achievement goes to Katherine, as she raised her score on test 7, then had a massive decline in her score for test 8. As a teacher, having this visual data would help tremendously as I could discuss with Katherine what was working for her when she raised her score, and how we could continue this pattern for future tests.

To be honest, I felt like I needed someone to "hold my hand" as I worked through the sheets application. Frustrating would be an understatement! However, once Barry showed me how easy it was to publish and embed my project, I feel much more confident to work with sheets on my own. I will definitely use Sheets to track the progress of my students in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Very thorough reflection and nice data analysis.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Glad Skype/TeamViewer worked for us.

    ReplyDelete